Evinrude E-TEC G2 Outboard Future

A conversation among Whalers
Masbama

Evinrude E-TEC G2 Outboard Future

Postby Masbama » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:21 am

I picked-up [a 2016 Evinrude brochure] at the Mobile boat show. The brochure has 31 pages, and 24-pages are devoted to the G2 engines, two are for specifications, and about one page is devoted to the regular E-TEC--and they start on page-22. Is this the beginning of the phase-out of the non-G2 E-TEC? Or, am I reading too much into this?

jimh

Re: Evinrude E-TEC G2 Outboard Future

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:21 pm

A recent statement from the head of Bombardier Recreational Products made it clear that Evinrude's technology used in the big V6 E-TEC G2 engines will be brought to more models at other horsepower ranges in the future. BRP president and CEO José Boisjoli was recently quoted in the trade press as saying, "Now our challenge is to expand G2 as fast as possible in the rest of the lineup. Our [intention] is to implement the G2 technology on all of our outboard engines." The time frame for this change to G2 technology is said to be three to five years, and that would suggest perhaps 2019 to 2021 for the arrival of the G2 technology in more E-TEC outboard engine models.

Mr. Boisjoli was quoted in TradeOnlyToday.com.

Maverick

Postby Maverick » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:05 pm

Are sales of G2 vs the standard models enough to warrant a full production press of the G2?

I don't see it happening with intensity. Last time I rode around the local lake, river, and Charleston, SC harbor, I didn't see a single G2 on anything. I did see plenty of fairly new standard ETECS, which I happen to like very much.

Last year when I bought my new 2015 ETEC 150 HO (not G2), I did consider a G2 (a 200 HP) but a few things made me go with the standard motor: G2 price was a good bit more; the G2 electronic steering/controls, while interesting, seemed to me more complex than the old tried and true hydraulic steering and cable shifter/throttle that I am used to - that doesn't make it bad,,,,as an olde timer I just envisioned not being able to repair, maintain, or adjust it myself; and finally, I didn't like the look of the G2...it reminds me of the old Chrysler style motors.

That said, I'm okay with them building something special like the G2,,,give the customer a choice. See what sells.

They will have to be able to sell enough of whatever to pay for their new design and manufacturing unless they're just doing this G2 business thing for fun. Personally, I'd rather see them refine/tweek/keep simple the tried and true motors, and keep those prices low so they can sell lots of them to the masses. I'm thinking they might make out better selling lots of standard units than a few special ones...my $0.02. Your turn.
Last edited by Maverick on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:57 pm

The new technology used in the E-TEC V6 74-degree engines results in the engine having:

--more power,

--better fuel economy, and

--lower emission.

To continue to manufacture engines that have less power, worse fuel economy, and higher emission would be extremely hard to rationalize.

Selling on lowest price has never been the BRP strategy. BRP's approach to selling all their power recreational market products is to provide the best products, the best performance, and the most innovation.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:01 pm

I expect a good future for an expanded line of G2 E-TECS. Who wouldn't want the improvements if buying a smaller E-TEC? I would certainly rather have a G2 than G1. I believe most people who like BRP products will have become used to the advanced design of the G2s. Those who are inclined to prefer other manufacturers' offerings would probably not consider either a G1 or a G2.
Butch

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:22 pm

Are the G2 engines completely new designs? Or based on existing products?

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:28 pm

Clean sheet of paper. I was at the NY Boat Show and I spoke for quite a while with one of the factory reps. If you actually see one up close and have someone explain all the features you can't help but be blown away. This is the future, and I almost wanted to buy a big boat just to justify mounting a G2 on it. I look at it this way- why would they commit the considerable costs of research and development of a two stroke power plant unless they knew there was a market to fill. They are betting that two strokes can indeed run with the four strokes, and win. I know I love two strokes. Also consider this- even though you almost always see a Mercury, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc, on a new boat- you always see an E-TEC on a repower.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:35 pm

The principal area of difference between the current V6 E-TEC engines and the new 74-degree V6 E-TEC or G2 engine occurs in the design of the combustion chamber and the use of a non-mirrored block design, called a starboard-starboard design in reference to both sides of the V-block using the same starboard-side design. There does not appear to be any substantive change in the direct-injection E-TEC fuel injectors. The G2 V6 engines use a new SLX gear case, needed to handle the increased torque available from the engine.

There are significant improvements in the design of the rigging, and the 74-degree models include their own hydraulic steering actuators, using a very intelligent design. Note that if trying to compare costs one should reduce the 74-degree V6 cost by about $800 to $1000 to account for having its own internal hydraulic steering and eliminating all of those external components such as an actuator, a drag link, and the elaborate rigging that goes with them. Some 74-degree models also offer electrically-boosted power steering, which again should be compared against the cost of an external power steering system, which will be expensive and bulky in its rigging. The V6 engines use electronic remote throttle and shift, as do all modern engines in the higher power ranges.

The 74-degree V6 was very well described immediately following its unveiling about 20-months ago in a thread at

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/022663.html

Details of the innovative rigging were given by me concurrent with the introduction in

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/022677.html

I gave a comprehensive summary of some further details of the 74-degree V6 E-TEC engine design about a year ago in an article at

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/023026.html

I cannot see any reason why BRP would choose to not deploy there improvements across their product line.

It is also significant to note that BRP has a very modern and very flexible production facility, and they routinely simultaneously build engines of different models on their assemblies lines. I also believe that there are multiple assembly lines, with at present one of the assembly lines dedicated to G2 engine production. The modern BRP plant does not have to "re-tool" as we used to say, to change models. They can do this on the fly. All modern production of expensive items like outboard engines is done with a build-to-order approach. Factories do not tool up for a particular engine then build thousands of them on speculation that they will be sold. Most engines are more or less built to order or to replenish a small inventory kept available. For example, in July 2009 when I bought a new 2010 model-year E-TEC, my dealer placed the order on a Monday, the engine was built on Tuesday, it was shipped on Wednesday, arrived on Thursday, and installed immediately. It did not come from a warehouse full of engines. No modern manufacturing business can afford to tie up its money in millions of dollars of unsold speculative inventory in the hope someone will buy them in the near future. The world does not work that way now.

porthole

Postby porthole » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:55 pm

Maverick wrote:...it reminds me of the old Chrysler style motors.

Reminds me of the Rockem Sockem robots of my youth.

After talking with the reps at the AC show, if it was in the cards I would spend the extra money for the G2 version over a similar horsepower E-tec.
But, I like new technology.

I suppose the "looks" that some do not care for (my self included), would be overlooked within the first 20 hours of use.
Last edited by porthole on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Maverick

Postby Maverick » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:16 pm

Hah, rockem sockem, gosh, I do recall those and that game....from the 1960s, was it? Hah, good stuff.

I'm sure the technology is good, if the G2 is anything like the 2015 150 HO I bought, very, very nice and impressive.

But I'm olde school, maybe olde fashioned, and perhaps in time I could become a convert, but I would like to see years of good track record and history on the G2 before leaping out there with that wad of $$$$. Thanks, Mav

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:49 pm

The advantage of the E-TEC 74-degree V6 engine compared to competitors' engine in terms of fuel consumption was also the topic of a prior thread. See

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=125

When an engine manufacturer's engine technology creates an advantage, it would be very strange for the manufacturer to not to continue to use the advantageous technology in his engines.