1995 Outrage 19 II Taking on Water at Dock

A conversation among Whalers
gwsjr

1995 Outrage 19 II Taking on Water at Dock

Postby gwsjr » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:20 pm

Just recently purchased a 1995 19' Outrage ll with a Yamaha 150-HP two-stroke-power-cycle outboard engine. With the boat empty of people but with a half tank of gas, the engine splash well has in excess of 4-inches of water, and I suspect water may be seeping from the engine splash well into the bilge through the two 6-inch access holes through the bulkhead that provide access under the deck. Although plugged by twist-on covers, the bottom of these two access holes are below water level in the engine splash well in my boat. The bilge accumulated [more than] 8-inches of water within 12-hours of being pumped dry, while sitting at the dock. I would appreciate any information, or suggestions that anyone may have. Thanks.

Phil T

Re: 1995 Outrage II taking on water at dock

Postby Phil T » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:38 pm

Is the this the same stern as your boat? Is the water level similar at rest?

Have you plugged the splashwell drains in the transom to keep the splashwell/motor well dry?

Where exactly are the access covers? On the floor of the spashwell or sides of the quarter seats?

I would replace the access cover O rings.
stern.jpg
stern.jpg (46.2 KiB) Viewed 7060 times

Photo of 1995 Outrage 19 stern
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

gwsjr

Re: 1995 Outrage II taking on water at dock

Postby gwsjr » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:53 pm

Thanks you for your input. I have not plugged the transom drains, nor have I plugged the drains into the motor well from the deck. See attached photo of the two access holes. My boat looks exactly like the one in the photo. Thanks again.
Attachments
IMG_1130 (1).JPG
IMG_1130 (1).JPG (88.04 KiB) Viewed 7053 times

jimh

Re: 1995 Outrage 19 II Taking on Water at Dock

Postby jimh » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:25 am

The second thread you started on this same topic has been deleted. Please do not start two threads in the same forum on the same topic. Thanks--jimh.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:27 am

When the boat is at rest and at static trim, if the water level in the engine splash well rises to a point where water can flow lower in the boat by those large diameter access ports in the wall of the splash well, then water will flow along that path and begin to collect at some lower point.

The only remedy is to improve the static trim so the boat is not settling down by the stern so much that the engine splash well floods that deeply, or to make a very water-tight seal for those large access holes so that no matter how high water rises in the engine splash well it cannot escape and begin to down-flood the boat.

Where does that smaller drain (seen in the lower right of the above image) lead to? Is that an overboard drain?

mkelly

Postby mkelly » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:55 am

I have this model [i.e, a c.1995 Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 19 II, and] often had the same condition while the boat was moored to a buoy. I would wake up to see the boat sitting low [and the boat's] bilge full of water. It took a bit of time to [understand the cause] but ultimately I realized the starboard side of the boat (where I had mounted a trolling motor) sat lower in the water. The starboard stern compartment thru-hull drain was sitting below the water line; over time the water would migrate from that well thru the controls opening [and] would spill water to the bilge.

I ultimately installed plugs in both the stern thru-transom ports [drains] and no more water was coming in. It [the cause of the problem] could be the access points from the open splash well. I would try installing plugs in those two supposedly self-bailing outlets. It solved my problem [and] kept the boat dry. All surface water would run to the splash well [and] eventually out the transom. The water getting in the back two wells under the seats was eliminated by the plugs.

I realized rain water could fill those back two wells under the seats, but very little gets in [and it is] easily monitored, whereas, when the boat at rest, water coming in not a good thing.

There is another consideration: your transom is overloaded--or worse you have water in the hull, thus reducing its buoyancy. Try the idea of plugging both stern plugs [drains] (not the splash well plugs), and see how it goes.

When I fish with gear in the boat and people, as well, I plug the splash well portals as well to prevent water from filling the well [and] getting into the cockpit area.

[The boat has] four ports in the back; those are you targets that can get water into the bilge.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:42 am

Mike--I am interested to learn more of the boat's layout.

Are there transom drains inside of the rear quarter seats?

Are the inspection ports shown standard?

Where is the bilge located?

Is there a thru hull down to the keel like other Outrage models?

Have you tried the ping pong scuppers on the outside of the transom to save you from having to use plugs underway?

Thanks
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

mkelly

Postby mkelly » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:02 pm

Bilge is located under the center console forward seat, I have a live well pump at the location in addition to the pump. Yes, the boat has transom drains from the rear quarter seats (the ones I plug)...I do somewhat trust the one way flappers, & could replace them, but not enough to discontinue the plugs. The plugs are bullet proof & keep those locations bone dry. I don't have the trolling motor on it anymore so my transom weight is down....not sure what you are referring to "inspection ports", I'm guessing they are the twist lock covers from the splash well to the bilge area....yes those are standard.

Wweez

Postby Wweez » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:39 am

The standard inspection ports would be my choice to leak.