1975 Sport 13 Navigation Lamp

A conversation among Whalers
Sunbern

1975 Sport 13 Navigation Lamp

Postby Sunbern » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:12 pm

Describe the red-green sidelight lamp that Boston Whaler used on a 1975 SPORT 13.

I am restoring my 1975 Sport 13.

jimh

Re: 1975 Sport 13 Navigation Lamp

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:46 am

My 1976 Boston Whaler SPORT 15 used a combined red-green sidelight lamp mounted at the bow on centerline. The lamp shown below is typical of the style used in that era on the smaller boats. Boston Whaler always used a combined red-green sidelight lamp on their 13-foot to 17-foot hulls

combinedSidelightLamp1976.jpg
Fig. 1. The OEM combined sidelight lamp as used by Boston Whaler in 1976 on a 15-foot hull. This lamp would also have been used on 13-foot hulls.
combinedSidelightLamp1976.jpg (36.96 KiB) Viewed 525 times

For a replacement, a modern LED lamp with a low-profile would be appropriate. Here is a link to a well-made LED lamp:

https://www.perko.com/catalog/navigation_lights_under_20_meters/997/led_stealth_ii_series_-_horizontal_mount_bi-color_light/

There are many choices in a combined red-green sidelight lamp available. The most important element is that the size of the lamp base be sufficiently large to cover the hole in the bow where the wiring leaves the hull and any previous mounting holes.

At some point--I do not know the exact epoch--Boston used a heavier, fancier red-green combined sidelight lamp that was mounted atop a chock for a bow mooring line. This lamp may have been an option, that is, the lamp may not always have been the standard lamp.

A non-OEM replica of the original Boston Whaler lamp is available from an aftermarket vendor. See

https://www.specialtymarine.com/collect ... -not-perko

You can make an inference about what lamp was used on your boat from the mounting holes that remain. If the taller, heavier, lamp and chock assembly were used, then the mounting holes would tend to be for through-bolting in order to more securely mount the lamp base to the hull so that it could withstand the stain of the the mooring lines running through the chock.

The the smaller lamp-only style combined sidelight lamp were used, the mounting holes would be smaller as smaller self-tapping screws would have been used, not through-bolting.