2005 270 OUTRAGE Live Well Fills with Water

A conversation among Whalers
Outrage270

2005 270 OUTRAGE Live Well Fills with Water

Postby Outrage270 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:55 pm

I just bought a 2005 270 OUTRAGE boat. While running the boat I noticed the forward fish box will fill with seawater while the boat is underway.

Seawater comes through the macerator and into the box. To drain [water from the forward fish box,] I have to take out the drain plugs while the boat is moving. Stopping [movement of the boat] will cause water to backflow through the drain holes.

Additionally, the forward fish box leaks water into the bilge and will cause the bilge pumps to activate.

[Implied question: Is the behavior described above regarding the forward live well on a 2006 270 OUTRAGE normal?]

jimh

Re: 2005 270 OUTRAGE Live Well Fills with Water

Postby jimh » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:32 am

Boston Whaler boats often have sumps with through hull drains to the sea. The venturi effect of water flowing along the hull when the boat is underway will tend to pull water out of a sump compartment, draining the sump.

A pump that is described as a macerator pump sounds like the pump should discharge into the sea. Usually there would be a valve (a seacock) on the pump's outlet to the sea. Closing the seacock will prevent the backflow of water into the sump via the pump discharge path.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:03 am

Live bait wells normally have a two way valve between the water inlet through hull fitting and the live well. It is usually found close the thru hull fitting. If space permits a similar valve could be installed in the forward fish well of you Outrage.
Butch

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:48 am

Congratulations.

Have you reviewed the Owner's Manual? If the boat did not come with one, you can download a copy from Boston Whaler.

https://www.bostonwhaler.com/content/dam/boston-whaler/technical/resources/270-Outrage-Owners-Manual-2005.pdf

2005_BW_Outrage_270_page_4.jpg
Fig. 1. Layout of the 270 OUTRAGE identifying major components
2005_BW_Outrage_270_page_4.jpg (129.14 KiB) Viewed 1531 times

There is no "forward fish box". Are you referring the port side midship fishbox or the forward in-deck storage?
See page 4 of the manual.

Which item on that drawing are you referring to?
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:19 pm

Phil--many thanks for giving readers a link to the Boston Whaler 2005 270 Owner's Manual.

A quick search of the owner's manual (as linked above) does not find the term "macerator." With that outcome, I don't understand the basis by which the pump in the "forward fish box" is being described as a "macerator" pump.

Re the absence of a compartment on the boat that Boston Whaler refers to as the "forward fish box": the helm electrical panel has a switch with label "FWD FISH BOX." Also, a diagram on page 11 of 44 (of the PDF version of the manual) shows a simpler callout detail that identifies callout 4 as the "Forward Fish Box." On that basis, I believe there is a good reason to describe the sump compartment in the center of the foredeck as a "forward fish box." Contrarily, this same item is identified in a different drawing (the illustration partially reproduced above) at callout 6 as the "forward in-deck storage." The authors of the operator's manual seem to have used two DIFFERENT names for the the same object.

I suspect a careful reading of the nicely-done 44-page factory operators manual with many illustrations will go a long way to answering questions about the newly acquired boat for its new owner.

Outrage270

Postby Outrage270 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:22 pm

Thank you all for your responses.

It is item number 6 from the standard features in the owners manual referred to as "Forward in-deck storage."

In reading the manual, when the boat is in the water, the seacocks must be closed and plugs must be in the drains.

My plan is to fill the forward storage box full of water while seacocks and plugs are in and see if I can determine where the water is leaking into the bilge.

The boat is still new to me, so I'm not sure if I can see that area from the head or anywhere else.

There has to be a way to access it from underneath.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:07 pm

Outrage270 wrote:It is item number 6 from the standard features in the owner[']s manual referred to as "Forward in-deck storage."
You have lost me. Please, what is "it"?

270OutrageDeckFwd.jpg
Fig. 2. Excerpt from illustration "Storage Compartments" with Callout 4 indicated as "Forward fishbox."
270OutrageDeckFwd.jpg (17.09 KiB) Viewed 1473 times

The below deck compartment of the foredeck of the boat is identified in the illustration on the page numbered "9" (page 11 of 44 in the PDF document) Section 2--General Arrangement and Specifications with Callout 4 as "Forward fishbox." See Figure 2 above.

As I mentioned already, the same compartment is identified twice, with different names.

Outrage270 wrote:I'm not sure if I can see that area from the head or anywhere else.
Again, you lost me. Please, what is "that area"?

There has to be a way to access it from underneath.
Okay, what is "it"? Please don't say "that area."

Outrage270

Postby Outrage270 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:48 pm

Jim, look at line item number 6 on the Outrage Owners Manual that was provided to the forum by Pill T. It is on page four of the manual. I referred to it as a fish box. The proper name is forward in-deck storage. Underneath that "forward in-deck storage" compartment. are two through hull drains and a center "Fish Box" pump out. Yes Boston Whaler calls it a Fish-Box pump out (see item 9 on drawing number PB270OR2.) Now, one of those through hull drains, in the "forward in-deck storage," or the "fishbox pump out" must be leaking into the bilge. My plan is to fill that forward in-deck storage full of water and try to see from below it, (the forward in-deck storage) to see if any of the above drains (which must be obvious to the readers by now) are leaking into the bilge.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:49 am

Good luck with fixing the problem.