2005 270 OUTRAGE Live Well Drains Itself When in the Water

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
jbshulti

2005 270 OUTRAGE Live Well Drains Itself When in the Water

Postby jbshulti » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:22 pm

I have a 2005 Outrage 270. On the water the live well has been draining quickly. At home the other day I filled the livewell with water and--crazilyy enough--the live well never lost a drop in 6 hours. Later when back on water, sure enough the livewell does not hold water.

Q1: what could cause the live well on a 2005 270 OUTRAGE to drain when the boat is in the water>

I'm baffled.

MarkCz

Re: 2005 270 OUTRAGE Live Well Drains Itself When in the Water

Postby MarkCz » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:53 pm

I wonder if somehow when [the boat is] in the water a siphon effect is getting established resulting in the livewell tank draining.

Q2: does your livewell use the long tube added to the drain to establish the maximum height of the water in the livewell?

jimh

Re: 2005 270 OUTRAGE Live Well Drains Itself When in the Water

Postby jimh » Wed May 01, 2024 9:51 am

Q3: are you sure a pump is not running when the boat is in operation on the water and trying to circulate water in the live well?

To test for this, when the boat is in the water, come to a stop, set the main battery switches to OFF so as to duplicate the situation when the boat is on the trailer, and drift for a while to see if the water level in the live well begins to drain or not.

This will also eliminate the suggested venturi-effect from the hull being in motion as a mechanism for draining water.

If the water level in the live well stays constant, then remain at drift, and turn on the main battery switches. If the water in the live well begins to drain, then the cause must be related to an electrical pump operating to drain the water.

If the water in the live well stays the same with the battery switches back to ON, then start the engine and get underway at a speed above 5-MPH. If the water in the level well begins to drain, the there is some venturi-effect causing the draining.

Report back with the outcome of these tests.