2000 Dauntless 14, Location of Access Plate; Removing Stripped Screws

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
cgdauntless14

2000 Dauntless 14, Location of Access Plate; Removing Stripped Screws

Postby cgdauntless14 » Mon May 30, 2016 6:30 pm

A diagram with a date of 12/14/1998 from Boston shows a 6.5-inch access hole under the seat and bait well console.

Q1: Is the diagram correct?

Q2: is this access hole the access to the fuel tank sender?

LOOSE FASTENERS
I tried to remove the seat and the bait well console. The screw fasteners [that hold the seat and the bait well console to the deck] just turn; they do not back out.

Give me advice on how to remove a stripped screw from the deck of a Boston Whaler Unibond hull.

ASIDE: Apparently the fuel [tank level] sender unit is bad [on my 2000 Dauntless 14]. My Yamaha-branded [dial pointer]fuel gauge tests okay.

ASIDE: I would also like to know other boaters who own Dauntless 14.

jimh

Re: 2000 Dauntless 14, Location of Access Plate

Postby jimh » Mon May 30, 2016 7:27 pm

The base of the seat and bait well console may be fastened to the deck with machine screws that are retained under the deck by nuts. They may not be wood screws that can just be extracted by unscrewing them. Usually there will be some means of access to the the nuts through an access plate.

Give Boston Whaler customer service a call on Tuesday to get their advice on how to remove the fastners.

cgdauntless14

Postby cgdauntless14 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:45 pm

Thanks much. Maybe I need to see if the live well tub can be removed from inside the seat fixture. This might be the access to the main deck below and show some access to the top of the fuel tank.

cgdauntless14

Postby cgdauntless14 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:45 pm

FOLLOW UP

The bait well tub located inside the seat unit on a 2000 Dauntless 14 just lifts out. To remove the bait well tub, grab the rim and pull up.

Then remove the clamps on the inlet hose and the outlet hose.

This exposes a 6.5 inch access port which is located right over the fuel tank sender unit.

The original sender unit is a WEMA five-hole-pattern and the replacement is available from them today. Visit

http://www.wemausa.com

The replacement sender costs $55. Shipping is additional cost.

This information may help others.