Removing Bilge Pump, Fuel Filter

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Bob G

Removing Bilge Pump, Fuel Filter

Postby Bob G » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:47 am

I have a Boston Whaler Whaler Super Sport 15. It is in storage. I want to remove the bilge pump. I cannot seem to remove [the bilge pump].

I also plan to remove [a fuel filter].

[Seeks] any suggestions. Both [the bilge pump and the fuel-water separating filter] are only accessible from the top.

jimh

Re: Removing Bilge Pump, Fuel Filter

Postby jimh » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:52 am

Many small centrifugal sump pumps are mounted by affixing a circular base plate to the hull. The pump assembly is then snapped into the base plate. A close visual inspection of the pump mounting should reveal if the pump you are trying to remove is using a separate mounting base.

Give more details about the type of pump and the type of fuel filter you have. This will allow readers to give you better advice about methods to remove them.

Are you asking for advice to remove a spin-on fuel filter from its manifold?

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:03 pm

Like Jim said 99% these small 12v pumps are consisting of a lower mounting and an upper electrical part. Also, most likely these are two different colors depending on the brand, often black and white, or white and blue, or red and white. I [provide below a hyperlink to] a sample owner's manual showing the snaps you must push to release the pump part from the base to reveal the mounting screws.
http://pentairaes.com/media/docs/R02_R24_rule_pumps_0513.pdf

This is just a sample manual. Your pump might be a different brand.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

Bob G

Postby Bob G » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:13 pm

[The] pump [to be removed] is called a Rule-Mate 500-GPH. [It is] not circular. [Its shape is] more rectangle with curved corners.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:15 pm

Why not give us a link or a URL to a webpage that shows the pump? That will help readers to understand the pump being discussed. Maybe the pump we are discussing looks like this:

http://newcontent.westmarine.com/conten ... 947414.jpg

If it does, it looks quite clear that you snap the pump out of the blue base plate to remove it. Once the pump is removed from the blue base, you will see the heads of the screw fasteners that hold the base to the hull. Remove the screw fasteners to remove the base from attachment to the hull.

Bob G

Postby Bob G » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:56 pm

Thank you. That is the pump. Could not see the sides where the buttons are.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Bob--the bilge pump question is solved, and with 500-GPH that boat will probably never sink--oh wait, these boats are already unsinkable.

What is this fuel filter mentioned in your initial positing? Or, is that solved too. (Lefty-loosey, righty-tighty)
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot