2007 Mercury 115-HP Cable Rigging Grommet Comes Out

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Whalerdog

2007 Mercury 115-HP Cable Rigging Grommet Comes Out

Postby Whalerdog » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:21 pm

I have a 2007 Mercury 115-HP outboard engine on my 190 Montauk. Where the [rigging] cables exit the lower motor housing through the molded rubber plug [grommet], the plug [grommet] it is always coming halfway out. Are there any tricks to make it work better? Thanks.

jimh

Re: 2007 Mercury 115-HP Cable Rigging Grommet Comes Out

Postby jimh » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:37 am

Usually the rubber grommet is retained in the cowling housing by having a depression in the grommet that fits into a lip on the cowling opening, or alternately, the grommet has a ridge that fits into a depression in the cowling housing. Make sure the grommet is properly positioned into the opening in the housing so it is captivated or retained. Sometimes there is a clamp mechanism that retains the grommet. Make sure the clamp is tight. Or, sometimes the cables are clamped in place against a clamping block on the engine, and this helps to prevent movement at the grommet. Sometimes a large nylon cable tie or Ty-Wrap is used to help retain the grommet tightly against the cables or in the opening in the housing.

Also, check the rigging cables to make sure there is proper slack as the outboard engine is steered to Port and Starboard. Perhaps the original rigging does not allow enough slack or otherwise imposes too much tension on the rigging cable bundle, and the excess tension pulls the rigging grommet out of the cowling housing.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:51 am

Ditto what Jim said but apparently the rigging pulls the grommet out while operating. A slight movement is causing this. Try some superior silicone spray on all the rigging going through the grommet enabling the slight movement to slide freely. Do not use oil (WD-40 etc.) use a silicone lubricant like used in food and medical services.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

Whalerdog

Postby Whalerdog » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:35 am

Thanks guys. It is wrapped for the winter now. The rigging was done by Boston Whaler at the factory. I think it usually gets messed up when motor is trimmed up. I did try some cable ties on exterior around grommet. Also I will look at the interior more closely in Spring. Maybe the ridges on the grommet have failed. I think I will order a new grommet this winter. Don't remember it happening when it was new. Thanks!

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:30 am

If the grommet is a one-piece molding, it will be quite a project to replace it, as you will have to disconnect every cable that passes through the grommet.