Platform for Outrage 25 Center Console

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Whalerdoc

Platform for Outrage 25 Center Console

Postby Whalerdoc » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:18 pm

Hi: I apologize if this topic/modification may have been covered or posted somewhere on the forum. I am looking to build a removable platform to span the 2 steps and fill the area in the bow to use either as a casting platform or to support a I/2 round cushion [which fits perfectly] in the bow for lounging. Any ideas/pictures or references on the forum would be greatly appreciated. Thanks kindly

jimh

Re: Platform for Outrage 25 Center Console

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:44 pm

I have seen a couple of forward cockpit area platforms in person that were very nicely constructed. The construction, as I recall, used a series of closely spaced plank boards, aligned with the fore-and-aft axis of the boat. The planks were about 2-inch width with a gap between them of less than 0.25-inch. The top corner edges of the planks had a slight bevel. The planks were fastened to risers or joists. The forward cockpit area was made level by this platform. The platform extended aft toward the console. I don't recall how the platform and console were arranged. I believe on a 25-foot boat there would be a gap between the platform and the console.

Here is an image from the CETACEA collection (Cetacea page 53) that shows a platform of the type I just described:

Forward cockpit platform on NAUSET

The general style of these platforms was initiated by Boston Whaler themselves when they made the SAKONNET model. This is not much of an image, but it does show a SAKONNET with the platform:

Most of the nice home-made platforms I have seen have taken their style from the style of the original SAKONNET boats. Those platforms were delivered in a white paint finish, but I think if one uses a quality marine wood like mahogany or teak it would be better to keep the wood finish natural; painting teak would be a bad idea.

Here is another CETACEA collection (Cetacea page 36) image showing a similar platform installed in an OUTRAGE 21:

If the platform height above the deck is high enough that some useful storage space is created below the platform, then you should incorporate a removable section in the platform to access that storage space below.

If you are always going to cover up the platform with a cushion and it will never been seen, I suppose you construct the platform from less expensive materials than teak or mahogany.

Whalerdoc

Postby Whalerdoc » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:44 pm

Thank you Jim, this will get me on the right track.

porthole

Postby porthole » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:25 pm

Jim Gibson's Boston Whaler 1992 19' Outrage II boat has a pretty good example of a filler platform.

Last edited by porthole on Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:50 pm

Here is a bow filler platform under construction from teak. This was taken under very bad fluorescent lighting, so the colorimetry is a bit off.
Attachments
bowFillerPlatformUnderConstruction.jpg
Nautical Lumber Bow Filler Platform
bowFillerPlatformUnderConstruction.jpg (46.81 KiB) Viewed 3626 times