2007 190 Montauk Water in Fuel Tank

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Thecan151

2007 190 Montauk Water in Fuel Tank

Postby Thecan151 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:09 pm

New to the forum and new to ownership of a 2007 Montauk 190 wth a Mercury 115EFI. I've had a 2007 Montauk 190 for about three months, only been out maybe 15 hours on it, and burned maybe a quarter-tank.

After purchasing 2007 Montauk 19, I ran it probably three times before one day [the engine stopped]. I found there were two gallons of water in the fuel tank. Now that may have been partially my fault for letting the boat sit at 3/4-FULL tank for a month during rainy season.

But 2-1/2 gallons?

I took in the 2007 Montauk 190 to a BW dealer. A mechanic only pumps the water out. [The mechanic] put in stabilizer. I filled the remainder of the tank with fresh reputable fuel. (Chevron)

A week later the boat and [the Mercury 115 EFI] runs like a dream.

After every outing, I washed the boat. I flushed flushed the motor. Then fueled the boat.

Then I stored stored the boat for a week. It's located in the front of my house with a fitted boat cover.

I take the boat out again and it does the same exact thing: sputters and sounds like the motor is starving for fuel.

Stranded. I take the boat to the shop. They say [there is] water in my fuel tank again--another two gallons of water. The mechanic tested the fuel and it seems to be good with ethanol [unclear], but there's still water and the gasoline appears to be cloudy.

The mechanic is a bit lost for words at this time. [He installs] a fuel-water separator, but that doesn't fix the problem of 2-1/2-gallons of water.

I suggested that we dump the [fuel that is in the] tank and put [fresh gasoline into the tank] and start from there. The mechanic says everything else with fuel system seems to be good.

It's a bit discouraging and frustrating to know that my boat has been in my possession for three months and has been in the shop twice already.

And the times that it happened I couldn't get more than 100-yards from the harbor entrance.

Can anyone share their knowledge on the matter? Or have any ideas?
Last edited by Thecan151 on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

macfam

Re: 2007 190 Montauk Water in Fuel Tank

Postby macfam » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:37 pm

Very skeptical. Is this a warranty claim?

Is it over 10 years?

Where are you buying your fuel?

Gas cap?

Fuel fill hose under the cap?

Have you checked it out and replaced cap and or gasket?

Is there someone who doesn't like you? (sabotage)

Where is the boat when you've had heavy rain?

Dock?

Mooring?

Trailer?

Have WHALER dealer pressure test tank

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:33 pm

Well--11 questions. Welcome to the forum.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:41 pm

It is not a warranty item. It's 10 year limited structural hull, 3 years parts/installation. See details here:
http://media.channelblade.com/EProWebsiteMedia/2904/pdf/2016/2016_limited_warranty.pdf

The only way you could get 2 1/2 gallons in the tank is through a hole or a fitting being loose. Having a dealer investigate will cost $100 per hour. Better for you to do the obvious tasks first:

Open the inspection ports and check the fuel fill and vent hose connections to the tank.
Check the hose connection at the fill and vent at the gunwale.

Pull the RPS and console if needed remove the fuel tank cover to inspect the tank.

Report back.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:50 pm

I don't have any real knowledge of this matter because I could not follow your narrative very well.

Edit your original post and fill in all the nouns where you specified something by referring to it as "it."

I completely lost track of what you were doing with all the washing and flushing over and over again. Please clarify what you were washing and flushing.

As far as I know, there is no particular history of any problems with water entering the fuel system of Boston Whaler boats. The most likely way a fuel tank accumulates more than two gallons of water is:

--contaminated fuel was pumped into the tank

--water was pumped into the tank

--water entered the tank via some leak or poor seal.

If there is a leak or a poor seal in a fuel system, it is just as likely that gasoline leaks out. Generally it takes only a small amount of gasoline to leak out to produce a noticeable odor.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:02 am

I have virtually the same boat only a couple of years newer. The fuel tank is poly and not subject to any wear points. Leaking poly tanks are quite rare and I strongly doubt yours has a tank leak. The most likely way water found it's way into your tank is that it was pumped in via contaminated fuel. Tell us about your fuel source. It is also very possible the water was not completely pumped out.

There are only a couple of other ways water can find its way into your tank. One is through the top of the tank where the fuel sending unit is located. If the gasket is defective water can leak into the tank there. That part of your tank is viewable from the deck by removing a deck access plate. Because the sending unit is at the very top of the tank the entry of more than a few ounces of water there is very unlikely as the water will seek it's way to the lowest level by running off the tank. The other way water can get into your tank is through the filler cap, the fill hose or the vent. All very unlikely given the copious amounts of water found in your tank. There is an o-ring on the filler cap if I remember correctly and it may need replacement. However, again, a bad o-ring can not account for as much water as you have found in your tank.

Finally, there is the possibility of vandalism. Is your Montauk kept in a secure location? Have you had a disagreement with someone who may have access to your boat? Although the possibility is remote I would not dismiss it entirely unless you are sure of your boat's security.
Butch

Thecan151

Postby Thecan151 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:09 pm

Thanks for the responses.

The fuel has been pumped from Cheveron and Safeway gas pumps. Both are very busy stations located on a main stretch of highway. The gas cap is located just inside the motor well and set at an angle. I would find it hard to believe that water will seep its way into the tank. The boat is parked outside of my house. The boat is also covered at all times when stored. But then again if a small amount of water were to find its way into the tank from the gas cap will it yield 2 gallons after sitting for a week? I do have a strong belief that the remainder of fuel that was left in the tank after the water was pumped out the first time has been contaminated. But I am no mechanic. The mechanic says that all the gaskets appear to be in good shape when he inspected them the first time this happened.

Thanks for the great ideas of areas to check. I will suggest these ideas back to the mechanic if he already has not checked them.

Paul

kwik_wurk

Postby kwik_wurk » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:49 pm

The amount of water intrusion is suspect (assuming it's really 2.5 gallons). And either, all the prior water was not removed; or you are blasting something (cap, hose, fitting) that has a decent hole during your wash-down.

Visually inspect all accessible fuel fittings and hoses. This would be: A) fuel fill cap, hull side fill plate/fitting, fill hose itself, fill fitting/gasket on tank B) the hull side fuel tank vent, tank vent plate/fitting, tank vent hose, tank side vent hose fitting C) fuel tank to filter/engine fuel fitting, tank to filter/engine fuel line, engine fuel line fitting. -- I can't imagine something has a hole big enough to let 2.5 gallons of water in, but not spill/seep 1/2 cup of fuel when you're putting gas in...only because it's hard to miss the smell of gas...

Anyways, like everyone says, check the obvious first. IF nothing comes up. Then...

Pump your tank bone dry, visually verify this by pulling your sending unit to check the bottom of the tank. Get some clean rags on a stick to mop/soak up the last ounces. If done on a trailer, tilt the boat so everything drains to the back... Disposes of rags as safely as appropriate. -- Make sure you have the right gaskets and sealant (rated for gas/fuel) to re-seal your tank. -- You are correct to ask for a full pump out/clean tank, I would take it a step further and ask for a visual inspection... or tell the mechanic you'll find another.

Go boating...

If you get a repeat, than re-inspect your fittings/lines. Break out your wallet, have the tank pressure tested and replaced as warranted.