1984 Outrage V-20 Wiring Paths

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
MikeUFCfan

1984 Outrage V-20 Wiring Paths

Postby MikeUFCfan » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:18 am

I am rewiring my [1984--ALWAYS USE FOUR DIGTS FOR YEAR] OUTRAGE V-20. I plan to install strips of LED lamps under the gunwales on both Port and Starboard.

I cannot run wires from under the center console to the port gunwale using the path for the fuel tank fill hose. I can run wire from the center console to the starboard gunwale without a problem

Q1: is there a rigging channel that will allow electrical wiring to run from the center console to the port gunwale?

Q2: what other path could electrical wiring be run from the center console to the port gunwale?

Q3: is the ONLY option to run electrical wiring to the engine splash well, then running wire to the port side?

That path for electrical rigging does not seen very clean, but that is [exactly] what the previous owner did.

jimh

Re: 1984 Outrage V-20 Wiring Paths

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:44 am

MikeUFCfan wrote:Q3: is the ONLY option to run electrical wiring to the engine splash well, then running wire to the port side?
In the REFERENCE section article on the OUTRAGE V-20, there is a good illustration that shows the rigging tunnel path, which I show below in Figure 1.

Fig. 1. From the REFERENCE section article on the OUTRAGE V-20, this photograph shows the rigging tunnel path.

Based on Figure 1, the best route for an electrical branch circuit to be run to the Port gunwales from the center console will be to use the rigging tunnel to carry the wiring aft to the transom, then to run the wiring across the transom to the Port side, and connect to the LED lamp strings near the transom.

Utilizing the fuel tank fill and fuel tank vent hoses path would mean including electrical wiring close to hoses carrying gasoline fuel, and that is probably not a good idea.

Because the total electrical current consumed by the LED lamps will be rather modest, I do not see any concern that the length of the branch circut wiring that will connect those lamps to the switch that controls that circuit will be excessive. The current will be only a few Amperes for the LED lamps. If 16-AWG wire is used, the Ampere-feet rating of 16-AWG for 12-Volt circuits is 49-Ampere-feet. If 5-Amperes flow in the longer circuit for the Port side then the wiring can be as long as 49/5= 9.8-feet and the voltage drop will not exceed 3-percent. If any doubt, use 14-AWG which is rated at 78-Ampere-feet.

For more about my method of choosing conductor size using the Ampere-feet value, see

Ampere-Feet
A Method for Selection of Proper Conductor Size

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/powerDistribution1.html

MikeUFCfan

Postby MikeUFCfan » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:05 pm

Thanks for the reply Jim.

I didn't even think about electrical wires next to the gas tank. That is probably a bad idea haha. Looks like I'll just run the wiring how the previous owner had it. Not the cleanest solution in the world, but it will do just fine.

The only other solution would be jumping from the console to the starboard side and then out to the rub rail with the navlight wires. I could run them around the bow of the boat and then back into the gunwale area by the gas fill hose.

Q4: thoughts on running through rub rail?

Q5: can two more wires fit in rub rail?

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:50 pm

MikeUFCfan wrote:Q4: [what are your] thoughts on running [the wiring for the under-gunwale LED lamps for the Port side] through rub rail?
Bad idea. The wiring in the rub rail is difficult to access or service. I do not see any benefit by using that awkward path.

MikeUFCfan wrote: Q5: can two more wires fit in rub rail?
Perhaps, but it is still a bad idea. Wiring via the rigging tunnel to the transom and then over to the Port gunwales will provide a much simpler path, and the wiring will be available for service if any problems arise.