1999 OUTRAGE 18 Center Console Replacement

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
DW600

1999 OUTRAGE 18 Center Console Replacement

Postby DW600 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:09 am

A tree fell on my c.1999 Outrage 18 boat's center console. The tree crushed the windshield, glove box and top half of the center console, pushing it into the bottom half.

Repairing is too much for my insurance company, and they want to total it.

I am not letting go of this boat!

[Seeks information about a source for a replacement center console].

jimh

Re: 1999 OUTRAGE 18 Center Console Replacement

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:51 am

To the best of my knowledge, all the center console assemblies used in Boston Whaler boats are custom fabricated and molded by Boston Whaler themselves. An OEM replacement could only come from Boston Whaler. The usual policy of Boston Whaler is to retain the molds for boat components for ten years after the last production. Your best source of an exact new replacement part is from Boston Whaler.

Have you contacted Boston Whaler to ask if a replacement console is available?

Another idea: perhaps Brunswick Commercial and Government Products might be using the console in one of their boats. You could also check with them, although I would expect the cost to be dear for a new console from that source.

A third idea: fabricate your own top to the remains of the base of the original console; or find a local fiberglass fabricator to do this.

DW600

Postby DW600 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:12 pm

Thanks for the reply, Boston Whaler does not have the mold anymore. I'll try Brunswick. The boat is at a marina that does fiberglass, the problem is the insurance company does not want to pay for it. I have contacted a place in Florida that does consoles, (Marine Connection Liquidators,) now waiting to hear from them.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:13 am

If I understand correctly your insurer wants to declare your boat a total loss due to the expense of a repair or replacement of the damaged console only? If so you should be able to determine the salvage value your insurer places on your boat so you can buy it back with your settlement. You can then apply the delta to the repair of the console.

However, it's very difficult for me to understand why the insurer values your boat for so little that the cost for the console exceeds the total value of the boat. What is the basis for the insurer's valuation? I suggest you read your policy very carefully to ensure your insurer is living up to the terms of the policy.
Butch

DW600

Postby DW600 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:18 pm

The insurer is living up to it financial bargain, I think that the marina may be coming up with too high a price to repair the console, maybe they don't want to do it, maybe they are waiting for me to do the legwork to come up with a replacement. That is fine, I just had to figure it out. In a pinch it could have been roughly fiberglassed, the stainless rail was expensive to re-build, but we found an aftermarket rail. I have some time to search for a whole console, the easiest solution.