Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: The Whaler GAM or General Area
  Trailer registration?

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Trailer registration?
skred posted 12-17-2002 08:45 AM ET (US)   Profile for skred   Send Email to skred  
Wisconsin does not require most boat trailers to be titled. I was told by a dealer here that I had better "register" my trailer with the State anyway, since - if I were to trailer down to Illinois - I can be cited and fined for not having trailer registration.
As another post here was discussing - most states respect the requirements of the owner's home state regarding operating license (for boats) requirements. Anyone familiar with trailer registration policies/laws ?
newt posted 12-17-2002 08:49 AM ET (US)     Profile for newt  Send Email to newt     
Skred, there is a difference between titling and registration. For example, in MA, trailers under a certian GVW do not need to be titled, but all trailers need to be registered.

A bill of sale and previous registration are required to register the trailer in leui of a title.

wayne baker posted 12-17-2002 08:52 AM ET (US)     Profile for wayne baker  Send Email to wayne baker     
I live in savannah georiga. we are required to have trailer tags. south carolina is not. I belive that as long as you have proof of residance of mabey the boat registered in that state of south carolina the ga police will honer the south carolina law. I know this is a long way from your situation but I would think the same would hold true.
skred posted 12-18-2002 08:00 AM ET (US)     Profile for skred  Send Email to skred     
Thanks for the observations. I realize there's a difference between titling and registration. In WI, where smaller trailers are sold without a title - in order to prove ownership we apparently must "register" the purchase somehow. My source said he was cited in IL for not having his WI trailer "registered"... Go figure..
ShrimpBurrito posted 12-18-2002 11:44 AM ET (US)     Profile for ShrimpBurrito  Send Email to ShrimpBurrito     
Oregon has similar laws as Wisconsin with respect to trailer registration. My trailer is not requred to be registered, but I did anyway for 2 reasons: 1) Although I shouldn't get a ticket when traveling in another state, I want to avoid drawing attention to myself from the boys in blue; and 2) if your trailer is ever stolen, the title is indisputable proof that you owned the trailer, and what make and model the trailer was. It likely will make the insurance process go smoother.

However, I should note that I am clearly in the minority, and Oregon has very cheap vehicle & trailer registration.

goodad posted 12-25-2002 10:39 PM ET (US)     Profile for goodad  Send Email to goodad     
Hey..Just bought a boat in Ohio...Live in Pa...Have title for boat, motor, but not for trailer..Ohio doesn't need one..Now I'm waiting on a bill of sale to be notarized in Ohio and sent to me in Pa. so I can get my trailer registration and plate..Best bet, get all transactions notarized prior to bringing to your state (boat/motor/trailer)and you'll be good to go...WWG
goodad posted 12-25-2002 10:44 PM ET (US)     Profile for goodad  Send Email to goodad     
postscript..If I get pulled over in Pa. without a a trailer registration, they can fine me and tow my boat/trailer/motor to a pound!!! WWG
Dick posted 12-25-2002 11:15 PM ET (US)     Profile for Dick  Send Email to Dick     
Here in Washington a title and registration is required for both boats and trailers. That way they can hit you upp for new tags each year. I don't remember what the cost was last year, not real expensive but a PIA.


kingfish posted 12-26-2002 08:57 AM ET (US)     Profile for kingfish  Send Email to kingfish     
Do I understand correctly that you guys who live in states that don't require trailer registration, do not have to have license plates on your trailers?


prj posted 12-26-2002 10:26 AM ET (US)     Profile for prj  Send Email to prj     
Correct kingfish, no license plates on trailers here in God's Country (WI).

I expect, but cannot confirm, that there is a maximum length or GVW restriction requiring trailers longer or heavier or with more axles to have plates.

triblet posted 12-26-2002 10:31 AM ET (US)     Profile for triblet  Send Email to triblet     
In California, on cars you pay registration
and property tax to the state DMV each year.
In the past, it's been the same for trailers,
but this year they have gone to "Permanent
Trailer Registration". Pay once, permanent
licence plate.

Boats, you pay a small registration fee
($20) to the state DMV every two years,
pay property tax ($138 on my M167) to the
county each summer.


ducktwin posted 12-26-2002 11:37 AM ET (US)     Profile for ducktwin  Send Email to ducktwin     
Having lived in six different states, all had somewhat different requirements.

One thing you can count on is that states do honor other state registrations, whether titled or not. As long as the trailer has a license plate, with valid mo/yr stickers, you should have no problems.

Whether or not your state issues titles for the trailer or not, does not matter to anyone that may ask you for the registration.

A title only becomes an issue when you sell it.

Arch Autenreith posted 12-26-2002 01:17 PM ET (US)     Profile for Arch Autenreith  Send Email to Arch Autenreith     
Like Goodad said in PA we don't have to have the Whaler licenced but must be registered with the state to get the hull numbers.

The trailer must be titled (licenced?) to get the licence plate.

In the land of taxes (PA) I'm surprised we don't have to title the Whaler. (I'm sure they're working on it though.)

Just drove through Irwin last night on my way back from Ligonier, Goodad. We got gyped on that snowstorm didn't we!

Arch Autenreith posted 12-26-2002 01:21 PM ET (US)     Profile for Arch Autenreith  Send Email to Arch Autenreith     
Sorry. Off-topic a little with the Whaler/boat registration note.
tflyer posted 12-26-2002 02:07 PM ET (US)     Profile for tflyer  Send Email to tflyer     
I now have two trailers that came from Fla. to Calif. Appearently in Fla. they don't title trailers, not so here in the land of OZ. Both times I've had to contact the trailer builder in Fla. and have him make a Fla. title in my name. Then I take the title to Calif DMV , pay the various fee's, and either bring the trailer to Calif. DMV, or find a police officer to inspect the trailer for ID numbers, go back to DMV with a signed inspection form and then,hopefully, I'll receive a Calif title and a PTI plate which is good for 5 years. So far I've made 3 trips to DMV and still not done. Can we talk PIA!!!....Tom
Bigshot posted 12-26-2002 02:46 PM ET (US)     Profile for Bigshot  Send Email to Bigshot     
Question you need to find out is do you REALLY need to re-register the trailer. In NJ you are told you have to register it every year and cops can bust you about it don't. The reason trailers are registered in NJ is for "ownership identification" so nobody can just steal your trailer. When you re-register it, all you are doing is keeping it current and making DMV more $$. From what I have been told, they can't ticket you for not having a current sticker and I was there with my friend when he informed the kind officer of this rule and we were let go w/o a citation. Now in FL I believe it is the same way. My Baja Trailer still has the NJ plate on it so I can skate that one. The Whaler trailer which i do take on trips is registered every year because it is only like $12 and I really don't need the hassle. Check the law....not DMV's revenue generating employee's word of mouth law.
goodad posted 12-27-2002 04:49 PM ET (US)     Profile for goodad  Send Email to goodad     
Hey..The trailer is the thing in Pa..Each year a new registration..Card in wallet to show licnse plate # and ownership..Boat # good for two years...Police do not care re. boat #, but you best have a current trailer registration with current year sticker on your license's plate..If your on the water, you have a boat # with a current, 03, 04..They get you coming and going...I need all three registrations so they can properly tax me when I apply for a new temporary license plate and I also needed this info for my insurance co. who was reluctant to insure an 85 Whaler..They insured..This is no big deal..Just PIA in PA.
goodad posted 12-27-2002 04:52 PM ET (US)     Profile for goodad  Send Email to goodad     
Hey...Arch..Didn't get gyped 12/25 driving from Addison, Pa to Irwin..4 wheel drive most of the way...Happy Holidays...Bill

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.