Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: The Whaler GAM or General Area
  What does "T/T" mean in a boat name?

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   What does "T/T" mean in a boat name?
K Albus posted 07-25-2004 05:03 PM ET (US)   Profile for K Albus   Send Email to K Albus  
What does "T/T" mean at the beginning of a boat name?
captjohn posted 07-25-2004 05:15 PM ET (US)     Profile for captjohn  Send Email to captjohn     
T/T stands for "Tender To" as the tender to a larger vessel, last boat was a Grand Banks named the "Lazy Lady", my inflatable was the T/T Lazy Lady.
Knot at Work posted 07-25-2004 06:59 PM ET (US)     Profile for Knot at Work  Send Email to Knot at Work     
I'l be damned! You really do learn something new everyday!
JohnJ80 posted 07-25-2004 07:05 PM ET (US)     Profile for JohnJ80  Send Email to JohnJ80     
Correct me if I am wrong. If the mother ship/boat is USCG documented, then the tender does not need to be registered in a state. However, it needs to be marked T/T <ship name>. Is that correct?


captjohn posted 07-25-2004 08:41 PM ET (US)     Profile for captjohn  Send Email to captjohn     
Yes, you are correct, if a vessel is documented with the USCG it's tender does not need to be registered by the State. The tender must display "T/T(vessels name)". There are some States that try to fight this however it is Federal law...
kgregg posted 07-25-2004 09:41 PM ET (US)     Profile for kgregg  Send Email to kgregg     
K Albus-
Great question and one I did not know the answer to until you asked it. Thanks, Kevin
Chuck Tribolet posted 07-25-2004 11:48 PM ET (US)     Profile for Chuck Tribolet  Send Email to Chuck Tribolet     
And to not need registration, the tender must be used as a
tender. Put it on a trailer, take it to the lake, and your
megayacht's tender has to be registered.


K Albus posted 07-26-2004 08:03 AM ET (US)     Profile for K Albus  Send Email to K Albus     
Thanks for the quick reply captjohn.
JohnJ80 posted 07-26-2004 10:58 PM ET (US)     Profile for JohnJ80  Send Email to JohnJ80     
I had the funniest experience with this.

My sailboat is federally documented - which means I didn't have to pay sales tax on the boat. USCG is also better documentation if you ever want to take your boat out of the US (like to Canada) and you have a problem.

Anyhow, I was camping out on it with the kids a couple of summers ago. I had the inflatable (all duly marked) and we were putting around with the 2HP Honda motor around a park on show. The WI DNR patrols this park and no wake zone regularily.

They waved me over and asked me why my boat (tender) wasn't registered and they wanted to give me a ticket. I explained the documentation to them and that I didn't have to register the tender because it was part of the ship's equipment etc....

They still wanted to ticket me, so I asked them if this is what they do to the Russian grain freighters that pull up in Duluth Harbor. When they put the tender over the side, does the DNR give them a ticket since the boat is motorized, over 8' and not registered in the State of WI?

This totally confused the two DNR officers who were madly leafing through that little (worthless) 20 page booklet they give you when you register your boat. Nope, guys, you're not going to find that one in there!

They finally let me go and went on their way. Really funny!


Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.