Kevlok Battery Straps

A conversation among Whalers
fno

Kevlok Battery Straps

Postby fno » Sun May 19, 2024 5:49 pm

Hi all, I have recently become an upholstery fabricator by virtue of not having the $$$ (3 dollar signs) to put the commercial boat upholsterer's kids thru an Ivy League education program. Needless to say, after doing most all of my cushions over again with new vinyl and foam I have an industrial sewing machine sitting idle. I am confident I can make reproduction AGM/Boston Whaler battery straps of equal if not better quality. I got a quote for Kevlok buckles from AGM in stainless steel and can get the same webbing in black Polyester and or Nylon and make battery straps for those interested in having new ones, spares, better ones. They will be the same 42-43" straps that you may or may not be able to buy from Sue Lodell. What I need from anyone interested is a reply so I can gauge interest in this project. Expect the cost to be in the neighborhood of $30.00 - $35.00 + shipping via USPS. Pricing depends somewhat on how many I make and as of now my goal is for 2 dozen straps.

jimh

Re: Kevlok Battery Straps

Postby jimh » Mon May 20, 2024 10:50 am

Frank--you are undertaking a noble enterprise. I think your estimated cost for the Kevlok battery straps represents a good value for the buyer.

ASIDE: learning to operate a sewing machine has always been a long-desired but continually-postponed goal of mine. Congratulations on mastering the art of machine sewing.

fno

Postby fno » Tue May 21, 2024 7:35 pm

I guess there isn't much interest here for these straps. I was just looking at interest, not commitments. A few more days and we can close this if there is no interest.

fno

Postby fno » Tue May 21, 2024 7:35 pm

I guess there isn't much interest here for these straps. I was just looking at interest, not commitments. A few more days and we can close this if there is no interest.

tcrane

Postby tcrane » Tue May 21, 2024 9:32 pm

I am interested. I sent you an email separately. I would be in for 10 of the straps…..if not more. Regards- Tom

fno

Postby fno » Wed May 22, 2024 9:13 pm

OK. I'll proceed with the plan. Keep in mind that the OEM straps come with a wire clip that allows the end of the strap to be retained at the buckle and lock the buckle in place. That clip is not possible for me to make as it is very complicated and can only be made on an industrial stamping press or two that I do not have. As an alternative I can provide a simple stainless cotter pin that can be used and spread with your fingers. Like the OEM clip which is carbon steel but simpler and less rusty over time.

tcrane

Postby tcrane » Thu May 23, 2024 9:48 pm

Sounds good. Thank you.

fno

Postby fno » Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:22 pm

Strap material arrived. Kevlok buckles need to be ordered tomorrow so progress is being made. Bear with me as it's a side job