Teleflex v. Uflex

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
pcrussell50

Teleflex v. Uflex

Postby pcrussell50 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:10 pm

[I may replace] the steering on one of my (non-Whaler) sporty runabouts.

I have a vague recollection of a post made by one of the old guard members in the old [forum], that he liked Uflex. Something about being equal or better quality than Teleflex, AND being made in the USA at the same time. Does anyone recall this?

-Peter

Jefecinco

Re: Thoughts on Teleflex vs. Uflex?

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:13 am

Peter--The hydraulic steering cylinder on my 190 Montauk has started leaking. It is a Uflex cylinder relabeled as a Mercury. It needs an O-ring and a wiper seal to resume operation. Mercury says the cylinder can only be replaced, not repaired. So far, my quest for parts from Uflex has been fruitless. I have found a source in Australia but I prefer to buy somewhere on this side of the Earth. Retail for the cylinder is about $700. A seal kit should go for less than $20.

Teleflex, offers seal repair kits on-line.

Given a choice I would probably buy a Teleflex Seastar hydraulic system over a Uflex system.
Butch

jimh

Re: Teleflex v. Uflex

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:19 am

pcrussell50 wrote:I have a vague recollection of a post...in the old [forum]...about [Uflex] being equal or better quality than Teleflex...Does anyone recall this?

You can search old article in the old forum from this page:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/oldForum/

Searching on the two terms, "Teleflex" and "Uflex" produces 18 results.

Searching on the three terms, "Teleflex" and "Uflex" and "quality" produces 5 results.