Replacing Cap on Fuel Tank

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Aurahags

Replacing Cap on Fuel Tank

Postby Aurahags » Sat May 25, 2024 4:15 pm

On my 1984 OUTRAGE [unspecified length] I noticed a hole in the cap [inferred to perhaps mean the circular plate on the aluminum fuel tank that contains the fittings for attaching hoses to withdraw fuel from the tank] that I think is not supposed to be there.

Q1: how is the cap to be replaced?

BACK STORY
Our 1984 OUTRAGE [unspecified length--always include the length designator when asking about a particular boat] sat for years. In the winter of 2023 [the boat was given] a full tune-up. Later, 20-gallons of gasoline was added to what I thought was an empty fuel tank. I then noticed a strong smell of gasoline from the aft part of the 1984 OUTRAGE [unspecified length]. I opened the lid under the aft bench, where the fuel hose connects to the fuel tank, and I saw gasoline there. When the bow of the boat was lifted, gasoline was seen spilling out. The fuel hose was tightened. I noticed a hole on the cap, that I am guessing is not supposed to be there.

jimh

Re: Replacing Cap On Fuel Tank

Postby jimh » Sun May 26, 2024 9:30 am

Your narrative is somewhat vague in the description of "the cap." Before going further with any remarks, please give a better description of the fitting or component on your boat that you have identified as "the cap."

Also, regarding the element of the boat you mention as “the lid” : do you mean a circular pry-out deck access plate which reveals the fuel tank withdrawal fittings and hose connections?